November 19, 2017

Capital Campaign Reaches Goal, Sandusky Renovation Near End

By LJ Staff

The Sandusky Library, OH, recently completed a $3 million capital campaign to
support a major renovation and expansion project. The capital campaign
supplements a $7.2 million bond issue passed by voters in 1998. Revenue from the
bond covered basic construction costs and architectural fees. With grants from
local foundations, the library purchased nine properties and easement rights for
a new 78-space parking lot. The balance of the project was funded by proceeds
from the capital campaign, including a $325,000 challenge grant from the Kresge
Foundation. Construction on the facility began in July 2001 and should be
completed next year. The original Carnegie library building was constructed in
1901. In 1996, the library bought the neighboring Erie County jail, built in
1883, for $1. Both historic landmark buildings are being renovated and
connected, with new space added to the back and between the buildings. The
library will triple in size to more than 62,000 square feet.

Share