November 17, 2017

Berkeley’s Hargrove Music Library Opens in New $13M Building

By LJ Staff

After two years of construction, the new three-story, 28,500 square foot Jean Gray Hargrove Music Library opened on the University of California-Berkeley campus on July 7. The $13 million price tag was supported by a $4 million donation from UC-Berkeley class of 1935 and concert pianist Jean Gray Hargrove, after whom the library is named. The building will house 50,000 video and sound recordings in addition to 180,000 books and printed compositions, ranging from world music to popular music. The library was moved from its original home in Morrison Hall because of spatial restraints and the need for technology and security updates. The original music library was founded in 1947 as part of the university library system. It was moved to Morrison Hall in 1957. The new building is the first free-standing music library on campus.

Share