The LJ editors are seeking nominations for the 27th annual Library Journal Librarian of the Year Award to honor a professional librarian for outstanding achievement and accomplishments reflecting the loftiest service goals of the library profession. These include:
- free access to information for all
- the encouragement of reading and the creation of inducements to greater use of books and other library materials and information sources
- the enhancement and expansion of library service to all areas and constituencies in the community
- the strengthening of the library role and position in the community whether that community is a city or town, college or university, school, company, or corporation.
Who is eligible?
Any working professional librarian in any type of library anywhere in North America (United States, Canada, Mexico) is eligible. “Professional” means a person in possession of a master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science and/or holding a position designated “professional” in a library or library service.
Examples of winning achievements can include but are not limited to:
- Creating innovative information services to serve identified community needs and thus enhance library service without resorting to user fees
- Building, rebuilding, and/or strengthening local political, fiscal, and public support
- Effectively promoting the use of the library’s services and collections
- Carving out a niche within a company, corporation, or campus that makes the library more vital and central to the mission and success of the firm or institution.
Nominations for Librarian of the Year are sought and welcome from the entire profession as well as from trustees, administrators, officials, colleagues, and citizens. Nominating letters should name the candidate and describe in 500 words or less why the nominee is deserving of recognition. Supporting letters and accompanying material will be considered, but the nominating letter itself will be of prime importance. People nominated in previous years are also eligible.
NOMINATION POSTMARK OR EMAIL DEADLINE NOVEMBER 3, 2014
As much as possible, please send submissions in an electronic format such as a Word document or a PDF directly via email to Rebecca Miller at email@example.com.
Or mail nominations to:
Librarian of the Year/LJ
160 Varick Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10013
*Please note, Library Journal will be moving offices in mid-July. Our phone numbers and emails will remain the same. For mail: please send items to our current address until July 18, 2014, and then point them to the new location. As of July 21, 2014, the new address will be 123 William St., Suite 802, New York, NY 10038
If you have any questions regarding the submission process, please contact Rebecca Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.