Plausible Deniability

Some people are just obsessed with the shadowy figure(s) behind the Annoyed Librarian. This bold wag claims finally to have unmasked the AL and asserts that the Annoyed Librarian is written by none other than Michael Gorman – the brilliant, talented, former ALA president, critic of silly blog people, and author of several acclaimed books making significant contributions to the field of librarianship, including Our Enduring Values, The Enduring Library, and the recent Our Own Selves: More Meditations for Librarians (all, you should note, available for purchase from Amazon.com). You think you’re soooo smart, don’t you, Mister Man? Well, let me tell you, despite the coincindence that Michael Gorman and the Annoyed Librarian are never seen in the same room together, Michael Gorman does not write the Annoyed Librarian, and you can’t prove that I do…er…that he does. So there!

Comments

1. whocaresanymore says:

Narcissism thy name is AL.

2. I'm Not Him Either says:

Isn’t that funny, I also was thinking you remind me of Michael Gorman. Probably because both of you are highly opinionated, counter-cultural, articulate, provocative, and … annoyed. Anyway, I did an exhaustive textual analysis of all of your writing and all of his, and, after I resumed consciousness, came to the infallible conclusion that you are not Michael Gorman. So could you please send me a life-size poster of yourself that I can hang on my wall next to his?

3. I'm Not Him Either says:

4. blogpro says:

Isn’t there anything going on in the world of librarianship that you could write about?

5. school librarian says:

Isn’t Michael Gorman still, though tangentially, in the library world?

6. Happily Anonymous says:

As there seem to be many cranky people who seem to comment for the sole purpose of saying that they don’t enjoy what you write, or they don’t like your pseudonymity, or your haircut, or whatever, I just thought i’d comment and say that I did enjoy it. It made me smile. And whilst many don’t get what you are doing, some do, so don’t give up all hope for librarian kind :)

7. yoyoyo says:

It’s easy to say the critics “just don’t get it” when in fact the critics might have a valid point.

8. soren faust says:

Is it better to have a blog that no one reads or comments on, as it appears is the affliction of other LJ bloggers? Or, is it better to have a troop of fans (and I include all the critics in this) that read and comment regularly on this blog, as is clearly the case on AL’s blog?

9. Anonymous says:

Who is Michael Gorman?

10. branmuffin says:

Must be a slow news day.

11. National Enquirer says:

Who is the Annoyed Librarian?< ?B>

12. National Library News says:

Who cares?

13. librariandoa says:

I’ve never heard of Michael Gorman, but I was hoping you were a nice hissy female annoyed personage.

14. yoyoyo says:

I think the female part is pretty obvious. MEOW!

15. Larry's Bird says:

Michael Gorman is the color man for the Boston Celtics.

He gets really annoyed at modern players and their lack of work ethic, no team spirit, and their wanting library 2.0 technologies explored along with gaming in libraries.

16. sometimes not annoyed says:

I’m with Happily Anonymous, a light, fluffy post is nice once and awhile. As long as the AL doesn’t get too used to it.

There would be too much irony in Michael Gorman being the AL for it to be real.

17. soren faust says:

Michael Gorman is a Library Scientist of the Documentalist variety.

18. willywonka says:

If you like light and fluffy posts, you’re in the right place. Not much substance here so far.

19. Morse says:

There’s certainly no substance in your comment.

20. yoyoyo says:

Or yours. It’s a vicious cycle.

21. Fonz says:

It’s always sad to see the shark jumped.

22. anonymous says:

From what I’ve seen, Michael Gorman has been more than happy to say whatever was on his mind under his own name. What has AL said that Gorman hasn’t already said with full association to his name and reputation? AL should be as forthcoming.

23. sidney says:

“AL should be as forthcoming.” Why? What possible difference would it make? Get over it, already.

24. Dr. Giggles says:

Hwaet! I must say that I also grow weary of the daily slams against the AL. We get it. You don’t approve of anything she says. How fascinating. Colour me impressed, as my man Paul W said. I, on the other hand, am always entertained and generally amused and seldom in rabid disagreement with our newest LJ phenom. Anyone care? Of course not. As to the Gorman=AL deal, though, that would blow my feeble yet febrile mind. Can’t someone please do a full textual analysis and graph the results. Thank you in advance. Also, while I deeply respect the AL’s desire for anonymity, and couldn’t care less about her identity, I really want to know who she is. Immediately. I would be grateful for a picture, caricature, or silhouette. It need not be a nude. I can be reached at Dr. Giggles, St. Petersburg Public Library, Fl.

25. soren faust says:

Paul W. as in Paul Westerberg? If so, right on!

26. Dr. Giggles says:

Indeed. The Giggler loves the ‘Mats.

27. Riddler says:

I thought he was talking about Paul Wolfowitz.

28. Dr. Giggles says:

Actually, I finally get it. The AL IS Paul Westerberg! It all fits. Just listen to ‘Swingin Party’, ‘Jingle’ or ‘Attitude’–the similarities are impossible to ignore. Glad to see you moonlighting as a librarian, Paul. You rule.

29. cookies says:

That episode where Jan broke her glasses and tried to cover it up instead of telling her parents – that should be a lesson for all of us.

30. WebbyGrl says:

I really don’t give a rat’s rear end who AL is. He/She is changing the course of my life. I went to library school and couldn’t get a decent paying library job (as most graduates of library school). So I became a government employee making loads of cash in the $65k a year range but not doing library work. Very unfulfilling. So AL moves to LJ and I inquire to other library pros about how to become a registered LJ user. One pro then tells me of a government medical reference librarian job making the same cash – I apply – and I’m hired! Thanks AL!! I start mid-Nov! You rock! Please continue to prattle on about nothing but I’m giving you all the credit. It’s amazing. Had I never heard of AL, I wouldn’t have asked about LJ and wouldn’t ever fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a librarian. Kizmet!

31. soren faust says:

32. librarydude says:

So you didn’t have the initiative to find this job without the help of somone who “prattles on about nothing”?

33. penn girl says:

“Mr. Giggle’s, actually I think Silver Naked Ladies should be the AL’s theme song.”

Something tells me that part of the AL’s wish to stay anonymous has to do with certain physical characteristics that don’t lend themselves well to nudity.

34. WebbyGrl says:

Librarydude, are you just pissed because I make more money than you at the entry level? Obviously you do not understand the government civilian employment system.

Hey, and did you hear the one about the guybrarian who shot and killed the other guybrarian in San Antonio last week? A couple of community college librarians they were. One got really mad at the other (lover’s spat?), shot him 5 times, then sat down and waited for the cops to arrive. This librarian business is pretty dangerous stuff. Good thing I carry too.

35. Anon says:

I had not heard that, but sure enough here it is www. mysanantonio.com/news/Shooting_reported_at__Northeast_Lakeview_College. html (Omit the spaces to see)

Where is the national coverage and outrage at another campus shooting? Why hasn’t the media been all over this against guns and pointing to a gun-toting Sarah Palin as a bad example? Everyone knows the ALA and most college staff are liberal Democrats. Maybe it’s because we don’t like to air our own dirty laundry in the public eye. Maybe when it’s one of our own, we just won’t talk about that unseemly business. Journalism is dead.

36. bluegrass gerl says:

I think that dude shot the other dude because he just got fed up with all of the library bloggers that never have anything of substance to say.

37. frogger says:

They were community college librarians. Obviously their lives had hit rock bottom.

38. soren faust says:

It was clearly over a Library 2.0 issue.

39. Mr. Kat says:

There is only room for ONE guybrarin!!

40. AL fan says:

“DEAR AL: I am a library school student.
    “Some of the evil library bloggers say there is no Annoyed Librarian.
    “My advisor says, ‘If you see it in Library Journal it’s so.’
    “Please tell me the truth; is there an Annoyed Librarian?

-Anonymous on the East Coast

Anonymous, the evil bloggers are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Anonymous, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Anonymous, there is an Annoyed Librarian. She exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Annoyed Librarian. It would be as dreary as if there were no library students. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which library school fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in the Annoyed Librarian! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your advisor to hire men to watch in all the entrances at the LJ home office to catch the Annoyed Librarian, but even if they did not see the Annoyed Librarian entering or exiting, what would that prove? Nobody sees the Annoyed Librarian, but that is no sign that there is no AL. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, little library student, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No AL! Thank God! she lives, and she lives forever. A thousand years from now, little Anonymous, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, she will continue to make glad the lives of library students.

41. FreeBird says:

Somebody has a lot of free time on their hands.

42. Brent says:

If that poster is right and AL is a man, AL is really gay (not that there is anything wrong with that).

43. Dances With Books says:

Who cares who is the AL? Or could be like ending of the film V for Vendetta, and we all wear a mask as well to represent?

Keep preaching it AL.

44. Mr. Kat says:

Nice work, AL Fan!

45. Vox NY #114 says:

46. Casper Milquetoast says:

“It doesn’t matter who AL is. I’m just glad someone is complaining about most of the things I complain about every day, and that he/she has a soapbox that people pay attention to. Name, no name, who cares? Just saying out loud what many of us are thinking is brave enough. “

I think that librarians should be seen and not heard.

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!/

47. testing says:

Testing

Testing

Testing

Testing

48. Mobama says:

Does the dew point measure the humidity? Does it get factored into wind chill?

49. Mr. Kat says:

The Dew point is the temperature at which the air is saturated enough to allow percipitation – or the other way to say it, the temperature at which water vapor condenses enough that the air can no longer hold it.

While this moisture falls out of suspension, the dewpoint drops to a new lower equilibrium temperature. PV=nRT

50. Mobama says:

So is it a measure of water in the air, or a measure of humidity, or is that the same thing?

51. Mr. Kat says:

Google Search “Dew pOint,” and find the website from unc.edu; it explains it far better then I can. And yes, it is used to measure the relative humidity of the air.

52. Mobama says:

I don’t know how to use Google.

53. Jomama says:

So, is this the HTML test track?

I thought there was going to be refreshments.

54. Bold says: