ALA 2009: For the Sake of Same-Sex Marriage, Don’t Do It!

Unfortunately, I don’t know if the ALA Council has debated the resolution on civil marriage I discussed last week, or at least I’m not going to admit if I’m aware of it. I’ve been busy, because Chicago has some good food and drink, probably the best in flyover country. But for the sake of the same-sex marriage cause, I sure hope Council doesn’t pass that resolution.

Why would I say that?

Well, let’s take a look at some of the things the ALA Council has resolved. End genocide in Darfur? I guess the Sudanese government didn’t pay enough attention to the ALA Council. Against the Alito confirmation to the Supreme Court? They’d lost that one before the Council minutes were published. American withdrawal from Iraq? That one passed in 2005. Maybe that’ll happen one day. If it does, we have the ALA Council to thank!  Impeach George W. Bush? Didn’t happen, and I’m thinking at this point it never will. Maybe the ALA Council can pass a resolution that Bush be tried at the International Criminal Court for war crimes. That won’t happen, either, but the point of an ALA resolution isn’t to make things happen; it’s to make people feel good.

No irrelevant political resolution the ALA Council has passed has ever had any effect on anything. One might notice, though, that some things will never occur. Maybe the ALA Council is jinxing the process. What if Bush wasn’t impeached because of the ALA Council resolution?

If the ALA Council passes this resolution, I fear for the same-sex marriage movement everywhere. An ALA Council resolution supporting an irrelevant political goal is the knell of doom. Library Journal ALA Annual Conference News

Click here for more ALA 2009 Conference News coverage from Library Journal and School Library Journal.

Comments

1. Post Postmodern Librarian says:

Someone is having fun at ALA it seems. Enjoy Chicago!

2. blisslove says:

LOL. This was a funny and sad post. Why does the ALA council make these crazy proclamations for us. I wish they would focus on concrete efforts to improve the lives of their members. I think ALA is trying to do way too much to be relevant. Sometimes the most relevant thing to do is small actions that directly impact those you serve.

3. NotMarianTheLibrarian says:

I’m with you, blisslove. I’d like to see ALA actually do something that might have an impact on its members’ working lives.

4. Dan Kleinman of SafeLibraries.org says:

“Same-sex marriage resolution
    The small audience then voted in favor of a resolution in support of ‘the right of every person to marry, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender couples, wherever they reside.’ Only one or two hands were raised in opposition to the measure.”

Source:

ALA Conference 2009: First ALA Membership Meeting Attracts Few
    ALA Annual Conference: The first of two ALA membership meetings had more to do with ALA hard times than library hard times and attracted very few members
    John N. Berry III — Library Journal, 7/12/2009 3:12:00 PM

5. Post Postmodern Librarian says:

I am eating a snack and it dawned on me the ALA does these types of proclamations. If they actually tried to pass something like a minimum salary, Health care, safe working conditions, higher academic standards etc they would fail completely. First would be the long hours of actual debate, writing and justification. Then you would have to get the thing passed. So instead they pass things that no one would actually vote against. Who in the library would actually vote against stopping genocide or gay marriage. Now they look effective. Ok you can all thank me for stating the obvious now, but I told you I was hungry!

6. Auntie Nanuuq says:

Sheesh…what a waste of members’ dues. What a waste of time. What a waste of effort. What a bunch of short sighted, delusional, over educated morons. For this they have to travel to Chicago to attend a conference?

7. AL=RK says:

The ALA has to make outlandish statements. Can you imagine if they released what librarians talked about at conferences and meetings?

Librarians wouldn’t even get mentioned on public cable access shows.

8. John says:

Here’s a human rights issue that I would like to see as an ALA resolution, if for no other reason than to watch how people would react:

The right to keep and bear arms does not end at the library’s door, and users have the legal right to carry (open or concealed) firearms outside of the library have the right to carry them inside.

This resolution would, unlike the gay marriage resolution, at least have something to do with libraries.

9. qotl says:

Love this thread. Why waste time (and our money) on posturing about hot topic items when libraries are closing right and left? And they wonder why more people don’t join our professional association. (caveat: I AM a member, albeit a frustrated one).

10. AL=RK says:

Closing libraries?

How boring?

I would not put that in my paper.

Wait, the ALA has taken yet another goofy stance, let’s run a tongue in cheek article about how nutsy they are.

11. Post Postmodern Librarian says:

John Well if I am not mistaken most library policies have an antiweapon clause in them. I am in Texas and ours does. Even plain clothes police officers get questioned as to why they come into our library if we know they have a weapon.

12. John says:

I’m in Texas, too, and mine does as well. Which is why it would be a bold and truly brave issue for the ALA to take on, especially since librarians have traditionally been on the front lines of battles for civil rights.

13. Steph says:

I will not let ALA speak for my views. I am indifferent of the same-sex marriage thingy and surely do not want to be made to feel wrong for not supporting it. ALA should keep its **** out of this issue. Why not focus on the education of library students, library closures, and unemployment status of many new and experience librarians?

14. PubLibDir says:

That crazy ALA

Homosexuality is a perverse choice. One always hears, “would someone choose this lifestyle with all the…” Well, would a pedophile? A person attracted to bestiality? Or we hear, “it’s all about love.” The perverse pedophile thinks he/she loves the child.

Don’t be afraid people to say, “Nope, that’s just perverse and I don’t want children to be exposed to it.” People should be shocked by perversity, and perverts should be ashamed.

There is help to overcome perversity. Seek it out.