Librarians Exploiting Children for Publicity

In this crazy world of social media and excitable librarians, often enough it’s a YouTube video that helps separate the wheat from the chaff in librarianship, or at least the serious from the ridiculous. They’re Rorschach tests for librarians. Where some librarians see "enthusiasm" or "cuteness," others see "stupidity" or "total embarrassment to the profession." Guess which side of the divide I fall into on this one: What digital natives want from their library.

In this, we hear from a genuine digital native! Well, sort of.

I’ve transcribed the video, just in case you can’t stand watching it for the entire minute. I wouldn’t blame you. I watched it so you don’t have to. It depicts a very cute 3-year-old girl holding a book and delivering the following plausible and impromptu monologue:

"Hi, I’m Abby…and I love libraries…and books…and storytime…but I’m a digital native…and I want an on-line library…that learns what I like…that has lots of multimedia…. I want everything to be quick and easy…. I want to be able to add my own stuff…and share other people’s stuff…I want to be able to do it all from my iPhone…or my ebook reader….I want even more mashed up content…semantic tagging…real time information…augmented reality…geospatial tagging…. I even love interactive touch screens… I know you’re all busy working on this…but I’m a digital native and I want it now…. hurry up and get cracking….ok, bye for now."

The crazy thing is, this was wholly genuine and spontaneous! It really is a "digital native" talking about what she wants, rather than a small child prompted to mouth whatever some grown librarians want us to believe she might want in the distant future.

I’m not sure whether to classify this video as child abuse or as further evidence that twopointopians and oneohonions have the mental development of toddlers. Maybe it’s both.

It starts off believably. Lots of toddlers love libraries and books and storytime. After that it becomes ridiculous. An online library that learns what she likes? I’ll admit my experience with toddler-thought is limited to my nephew when he was younger and a handful of twopointopian librarian blogs, but it seems to me that toddlers like making messes, thinking disjointedly, being the center of attention, and wandering from project to project without ever completing anything. We already know both toddlers and twopointopians like these things, so what else do we have to learn?

Add my own stuff? I don’t even want to know what she would add. Maybe some doodling. Share other people’s stuff? Yeah, that sounds like something toddlers like to do. Not share their stuff, but share other people’s.

And that child has an iPhone? and a Kindle? Oh, right, I forgot, every child has an iPhone and a Kindle in Twopointopia, because in that happy-go-lucky land everyone can afford them. In Twopointopia the rivers flow with chocolate, the mountains are topped with sugar, and shiny gadgets hang from the trees. And everyplace has free wifi.

I definitely believe that she’d like more mashed up content. Peas and carrots, probably. Maybe she can mash up that content and finger paint on her Kindle with it.

But semantic tagging? Augmented reality? Geospatial tagging? What sort of lunacy is this? How can other librarians look at stuff like this and not be embarrassed for the librarians who made this video. Why, oh why, are people subjecting their children to this foolishness.

The next sentence was just sad. Obviously this manipulated toddler had no idea what she was saying, but sometimes she wasn’t even saying it. The subtitles say "interactive touch screens," but I swear the child says she loves "interacting tough screens." Interacting tough screens is perhaps what we get when two car windows collide.

Finally, we find the common ground between toddlers and twopointopians. "I want it now." Yes, child, of course you want it now. You want everything now. That’s because you haven’t developed the capacity for rational thought or the ability to defer gratification like us grown-ups have. It’s an important lesson that children and twopointopians need to learn: we can’t have everything now. It’s not all about us.

I have two pleas. First, to parents. Please stop making your children parrot your beliefs. This video is the equivalent of small children waving placards at political rallies and chanting about how much they love limited government and strict constitutionalism or hate confiscatory taxation or warmongering plutocrats. I feel sorry for those children, just as I feel sorry for little Abby.

Second, to the twopointopians and oneohonions, please stop bombarding us with stuff like this. I say this for your own sakes, because I feel sorry for you as well. You just embarrass yourselves when you praise such tripe. We know you desparately want attention, but then you get all mad when people give you the attention you deserve. It would be less embarrassing for everyone from little Abby to shiny librarians if videos like this were never made or promoted.

I realize I’m harming myself here, because stuff like this is like gold for the AL, but I’m not thinking about myself. I’m thinking about the children, and the librarians who act like children. They say the children are our future, but they’re wrong. By the time the children become our future, most of them act like adults. If only we all could.

Comments

1. Bruce Campbell says:

.00001 percent of actually library users give a crap about “ebook readers, mashed up content, semantic tagging, flux capacitors, etc.” They should have had the child say that the librarians helped her dad find a job after he was laid off.

That would be a relevant message.

2. Yogi the Librarian says:

99.9999 percent of the library users are willing to go somewhere else if the library keeps its nose up in the air and tells us what we need, because, after all, it has a staff of highly trained MLS’s that are smarter than the average bear.

3. merricat says:

…but it seems to me that toddlers like making messes, thinking disjointedly, being the center of attention, and wandering from project to project without ever completing anything. We already know both toddlers and twopointopians like these things, so what else do we have to learn?

So true! My 3 year old niece has no idea what geospatial technology is, for God’s sake.

I think the worst library video EVER, was the Library 101 video produced by David Lee King. Pathetic! It made me want to flip hamburgers for a living.

4. Hateful Cat says:

“It made me want to flip hamburgers for a living.”

Bye.

Don’t let the door hit your butt on the way out.

5. merricat says:

Yeah, Hateful Cat, just don’t come to my restaurant. I’ll most likely spit in your food and tell you were you can stick your native digital drivel.

In no other profession do you see such goofy foolishness as in the librarian profession. You don’t see doctors, lawyers, politicians, even hamburger flippers making pedestrian videos in an effort to make their profession look cool or hip or relevant. I work in a public library and everyday I know we’re relevant. I don’t need some churlish stuffed-shirt in hip clothing to tell me how to be a professional.

6. Plain Jane says:

“Gosh, Plain Jane, what gives you the idea that librarianship is not respected as a profession?”

Because videos like this get made. And distributed by none other than Stephen Abram on his blog (where he called it “cute,” no less). And then librarians wonder why researchers, publishers, journalists and the general public has a difficult time taking them seriously.

Also: Criminy, that poor kid!

7. Post Postmodern Librarian says:

First, if they had used a teenager this might have been a little more believable though, they would have to be Gibson fans. It is better then the 101 video because at least its just a silly marketing film and not a sad ideological cry. I have to admit I would love all those things too, but what would you really do with them, who is going to make it happen, where are you going to get the funding, and lastly besides this toddler who will really use it?

8. Bruce Campbell says:

What a ridiculous facade librarians put on…

9. Hateful Cat says:

“In no other profession do you see such goofy foolishness as in the librarian profession. You don’t see doctors, lawyers, politicians, even hamburger flippers making pedestrian videos in an effort to make their profession look cool or hip or relevant.”

That’s because “librarianship” is in the death throes as a profession.

Whether your governmental system follows socialism, as espoused by Hippieman or a staunch ultra-conservative capitalist system, like the AL pushes, when something isn’t needed it will go away.

You can jump up and down and try to get yourself noticed or sit there quietly and watch things fade away. Either approach is not going to stem the tide while people find better, cheaper, more accurate, and faster ways of getting the information they need.

Have a nice day.

10. Dances With Books says:

AL, I had pretty much a similar reaction. Then add that I almost puked a little when I first saw the video after one of my newer coworkers (who is clearly one of those oneohonions) forwarded it with the subject line of “cute.” To say this is embarrassing to our profession would be to denigrate the concept of embarrassment. It is clear those “perky” librarians have no sense of shame. No wonder we get no respect as a profession (with apologies to the late Rodney Dangerfield) if this drivel is what we are trying to pass for effective marketing of what we do (or claim we may be doing).

11. Legal-Beagle says:

“Librarians need to stop trying to be wannabe-techies AND WAKE UP. We here to serve the poor. The people that use libraries will think tagging is graffitti, semantics is some kind of additive for concrete, geospatial is removing the back seats from the back of their Geo Metro.”

They want their information ACCURATE and NOW.

12. snoopylibrarian says:

13. Charlie Brown says:

“Are you kidding me I have to explain to some of our elderly computer users what a mouse is and how to use it.”

This is what we are saying, stop being a techie.

Make sure that their social needs are taken care of, give them a book, then give them a glass of warm milk, a pat on their grey head, and then send them toddling off.

Everyone will be happier.

Plus it keeps people off the information superhighway that should not be there.

14. merricat says:

“You can jump up and down and try to get yourself noticed or sit there quietly and watch things fade away.”

By the way, I’ve been following AL for years and I would not describe her as a staunch ultra-conservative capitalist.

Over.

15. Hateful Cat says:

“What’s the problem with that, Hateful Cat? If the library does one day fade away, doubtful, but if in fact it does. Then good riddance. Societies rarely support things they deem worthless. Until then, libraries and librarians will continue to do what they’ve been doing for THOUSANDS of years. So mete it be.”

That was my point.

I am so glad that I didn’t have to resort to a video to explain it too you.

You should have a glass of warm milk now and go calm down.

16. merricat says:

“You should have a glass of warm milk now and go calm down.”

Close, I’m drinking a Latte.

17. Hateful Cat says:

“Close, I’m drinking a Latte.”

I bet it is a vente.

Me?

I am having a large, black, coffee.

And a doughnut.

I have not abandoned all the old ways.

18. male librarian says:

Mmmmmm, coffee.

19. Hater says:

“I like my coffee like I like my women: weak and bitter. Or should I have said librarians instead of women? Hmmm.”

I saw a typo. If you are truly a male librarian it should read,

Mmmmmm, coffee.

I like my coffee like I like my men: weak and bitter. Or should I have said librarians instead of women? Hmmm.

No charge for the proofreading.

20. I Like Books says:

I have a few comments about libraries, technology, and geeks.

First, it’s not inherently bad for the library to get techie. But it should be APPROPRIATE tech! At this point in time, for instance, I wouldn’t throw away the videotapes yet, but I’d be collecting DVDs, and it’s probably too soon for BluRay. Regarding formats, libraries SHOULD lag behind the curve, collecting what most people (especially lower income) are most likely to be able to use.

The technology should be appropriate in two ways. First, being accessible to the users. But second, working to fulfill the library’s mission. And for that, the library has to have a mission statement. Something like protecting the commonwealth. If their mission really is to get bums on seats, then that should be spelled out explicitly in their mission statement to facilitate decision making. (Thanks to one of AL’s earlier articles for that expression.)

And its success should be measured. Do libraries really need a presence on FaceBook? How many people use their FaceBook page? Have there been more bums on seats since the FaceBook page was introduced?

In other words, push a technology when you can make a case that it’s USEFUL, not just to try to claim a hipness title.

Has any research been conducted that show whether people actually care if their library is on FaceBook or Twitter or whatever?

21. I Hate Books says:

Appropriate Technology.

What a stupid term.

If technology is not appropriate, it will die. Most libraries know that.

How many still have beta-max tapes on their shelves?

How many are loaning out kindles?

Eventually all technology dies out. Appropriate or not.

Poor people don’t have blu-ray? News to me. I ride the bus and go through a seedy part of town on the way to work. The seedier and run down the neighborhood, the nicer and nicer the portable technology that gets on the bus.

I have a ten buck pay as you go cell phone. Some teen will sit down next to me with their I-Phone and talk to everyone who gets on about their PS3 and X-Box 360.

Their 1080p 54inch tv.

sigh

22. LibrarianToBe says:

I remember a scene from Good Will Hunting where he says to the Harvard student: “You paid 150,000 dollars for en education that I got at the local library for 1.50″ maybe a little exaggerated but this is how I feel lately. I’m studying and paying an MLIS where I’m learning everything that is not useful anymore in library world, and instead in my own time I’m becoming an expert at all these geeky things that seem to be essential to “suceed” in a career in library.

In my role as a library user I clap my hands when there is an improvement in the catalog but I couldn’t care less if the library is on facebook or twitter or any social network, the only one I use is Goodreads and rarely.

23. Librarian that Once Was says:

Don’t worry about technology too much. You should just concentrate on Google.

Sooner than you think, everything will be available from Google and you won’t have to worry about you local library.

Unless, of course, you have kids. Then you wouldn’t want them around that abandoned and falling down eyesore.

24. Bruce Campbell says:

“Um, I am a law librarian, and my duty is to serve the suits who make millions of dollars a year.

They want their information ACCURATE and NOW.

You want to play social worker, go right ahead. Just make sure that you clean up after the poor when they leave.”

I should have specified that I was talking about public libraries.

25. Legal-Beagle says:

“I should have specified that I was talking about public libraries.”

You didn’t need too. By your lack of explaining just what you were talking about, I kind of assumed that you were talking about public libraries.

The poor, after all, just want a warm place to go to the bathroom. They really don’t care if you know the Capital of Peru or how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood or who is buried in Grant’s tomb.

26. male librarian says:

Leagle-Beagle said:
    “I say that anyone planning to become a public librarian should take courses in social work and forget about books, and computers, and stuff.”

I would add to that hand-to-hand fighting lessons and maybe a concealed carry permit. At least some pepper spray.

27. I agree with no one says:

Actually I agree with I Like Books. He or she has a good sense of Appropriate Technololgy.

28. prescott says:

What’s with the constant dissing of public libraries and librarians? (I’m talking about the last few comments, not anything in this particular AL post.) I’ve been working in public libraries for the last seven years, and every one of them has been a busy, vibrant place.

Of course there are some folks who just want a warm place to sit or who want to leave their kids unattended. There are lots more who want to read books, ask questions, and do research.

Those of us who work hard and care about serving the public (rich, poor, and in between) can easily carry on without your whining.

29. Lucid Librarian says:

Such contention over one video, strikes me as professional self-consciousness in extremis. Is the nature of this video really that important to argue over or are there other issues facing libraries that perhaps warrant a redirection of brain power?

30. caroline says:

Total lack of context people. The video was created as an amusing opening to a recent Australian library technology conference. Sessions at the conference covered every topic Abby (daughter of a participant) mentioned. Thats why she mentioned them. Australians are very fond of verbal and situational irony :-)

31. Jenelle says:

Any real Librarian would have looked at where the video was coming from – VALA – the old Victorian Association for Library Automation and now Libraries, Technology and the Future. It was for a specific conference that looks at the issues mentioned… sheesh it isn’t that hard to Google it.

Maybe have an understanding of why the video was created before jumping up and down?

And Public Librarians are only there for the poor? Come off it – Public Librarians are there for everyone.

Cringeworthy or not, I would have thought there are some more pressing issues facing our profession that are more deserving of a post.

32. Hambubger says:

Remember othat episode from South Park when kyle’s dad liked to smell his own farts, because he owned a hybrid or something. I have been having this weird dream of somebody grabbing my balls and squeezing the life out of them.Imagine that somebody just walking up to you and squeezing the life out of them.Thats what it feels like.

33. Proud to be a Librarian says:

As to “exploiting children for publicity, by posting the spray about Abbey, the Annoyed Librarian could be accused of doing just that – beating up a controversy about the Abbey video to build up his/her own infamy.

34. Bill O'Really says:

“I really think a lot of the public library haters haven’t been to a public library in living memory. And for those who work in public libraries and don’t have anything good to say about the institution, PLEASE RETIRE or change careers or whatever. ”

Sadly, I love public libraries.

However, the last time I went there to do some research, there was no tables or chairs to sit at because the homeless were camped out in each and everyone for the day. People doing research were sitting on the floors in the aisles.

I stepped into the men’s room and quickly stepped out. There was a homeless person in there taking a shower in the sink.

I asked the librarian about the situation and they shrugged and said,”we can’t do anything about it.”

I don’t mind paying taxes so long as I and the rest of the community can reap some of what I have sown. And I am not against the homeless. They don’t have options.

What needs to be done is that the powers that be have to make a place for the homeless to be safe and warm and not the library. Take you huddled masses yearning to be free somewhere else so I can use the library for what it was intended for.

Finally, for the public librarians out there, I have a message for you.

Cleanup in Aisle Six!

35. merricat says:

Legal Beagle is an eff-tard. Probably hasn’t stepped foot in a public library since storytime days, but has a whole lotta opinion about the library, nonetheless. An opinion about everything, knower of nothing. This is the American way, I suppose.

36. Post Postmodern Librarian says:

Lets drop poor Abby from this and ask again what good is most of that technology. I work for a public library where the avg income is 20,000 less then the rest of the states, 1/4 of the population never went to high school. Most of the people use our huge technology budget to myspace. Most of the people are dealing with basic digital (yes new term by the FCC) literacy or information literacy. Its not that cant do it, its they do not have time for virtual or augmented realities this reality is hard enough for them. Its this reality I have to help them with. Before you say I am anti technology, I am writing a thesis about virtual reality and have know about augmented realities for about 7 years now.

37. Leagal-Beagle says:

I am in the public library all the time.

They are the only source for the local newspaper going back over fifty years.

Of course it is hard to get a microfilm reader, I have to evict the bum from the seat so I can use the technology appropriately.

They also have a good selection of reference books going way back. Sadly, most taxpayers in my community will never set foot in the library because of the stench of human kindness that the librarians exude for the bums that live there.

38. merricat says:

Leagel Beagle, You are right. There are far too many homeless people using the library as a place to rest and be off the streets. The PUBLIC library has a problem because it is in fact a public library, not a private one reserved only for the washed masses. The real issue then in not what can public librarians do about the homeless problem in their libraries, but what can be done about the homeless problem in society. In a way, I can see why the washed masses deplore the homeless presence in their libraries, or anywhere else for that matter: it brings them face to face with a societal problem that they probably feel impotent to solve. Rather, they would prefer that it all just go away like everything else that inconveniences their well-protected lives.

Sadly, it is not that simple. The homeless problem is every citizen’s problem, not just the public librarian’s problem.

I am a public librarian for a large urban library and as far as I’m concerned, the homeless are only a fraction of the problems. For instance, the jobless, educated-less, the less fortunate of all stripes use this library to try to better themselves. Like it or not, the homeless and everyone else less fortunate than you ought to have the PL as their resource, otherwise, the problems they cause will only get worse, not better.

You have to think of the greater good in this case and not just of yourself.

39. Plain Jane says:

It’s “pathetic and cowardly” to criticize a video that is insulting to patrons by equating “digital natives” with “cute kids who take prompting and parrot words they don’t know” instead of as users who have possible valuable and interesting suggestions on how to improve services?

I understand very well why patrons don’t give librarians no respect– because videos like these show that librarians don’t respect THEM.

40. Leagal-Beagle says:

I do think of the greater good.

We absolutely have to address the homeless problem and get them the help they need.

Unfortunately, bums sitting in the library chasing away patrons is not the answer.

If a bum is reading a book or doing research or asking a question, they can stink like cheese on the subway. I have no problem with them using the services. My problem is when they prevent services for others.

I better let you go, I think you may have a problem in the 305.3896942 V944 2010 section.

41. Fancy John says:

You are right, Jane.

Librarians certainly know more than everyone else. Just go ask a reference question. Be prepared for disdain. And if your topic is not what the librarian considers PC, be prepared for a 15 minute liberal lecture.

42. merricat says:

Unfortunately, we don’t use Dewey; rather, we use LC. HV4505 .H65 1993Q, most likely.

43. Leagal-Beagle says:

At least I know you are a librarian and not a journalist posing as a librarian.

44. Gman says:

45. I am Not Spock says:

Basing our professions future on a 1960′s TV show?

We are doomed, Charlie Brown.

Doomed.

We very well end up with a nuclear holocaust destroying everything except for a pile of books in the vault way down in the bowels of the library.

Be careful though, you don’t want to break your glasses.

46. History Man says:

“For all of you Cassandra’s out there predicting the demise of the public library I would remind you of an episode of the original ‘Star Trek’ in which Captain Kirk was guided through a series of optical disks by an elderly male librarian in order to save a planet! Believe me, if there are libraries and librarians three hundred years in the future we have nothing to fear!!”

What about the burning of the library at Alexandria?

History could repeat itself.

Or not.

The one thing I know is that you should just keep pie in you pie hole and not come here spouting blueberries all over the place.

Thanks

47. Lake Wobegone says:

What’s wrong with this statement? “Where everyone is above average.”

48. Lake Woeisme says:

What is wrong with the statement:

“Where everyone is above average.” ?

For starters, you brought it up here.

Secondly, we don’t want your input.

And, thirdly, if it does not pertain to public library matters, we want it to be gone, Wobegone.

49. Lake Wobegone says:

Again, what is wrong with the statement, “Where everyone is above average?”

50. Woeisme Lake says:

“Again, what is wrong with the statement, “Where everyone is above average?”"

Well, the second time you posted it, you made it a question.

Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy.

51. de la Tour de Auvergne fan says:

Hey Proud to be a Librarian…

you say:

“How pathetic and cowardly, over how many years has the Annoyed Librarian taken pot shots at the profession from behind a veil of anonymity?”

Whoo-hoo, the ole anonymity-attack again! Never gets old, does it? First of all, though, use the correct term. For what seems like the thousandth time, AL is pseudonymous not anonymous.

You then say:

“As to exploiting children for publicity, by posting the spray about Abbey, the Annoyed Librarian could be accused of doing just that – beating up a controversy about the Abbey video to build up his/her own infamy.

All the Annoyed Librarian has done is give the video more publicity and demonstrated (yet again) his/her own bankrupt intellect.”

Similarly, by reading the blog and commenting, you have contributed to AL’s publicity. Your actions also suggest that either you find intellectually bankrupt commentary worthy of a response or, alternatively, that perhaps AL is not so intellectually bankrupt after all.

The perhaps “greatest” example of an “AL-hater” who used the anonymity attack and yet by continual comments ironically de facto validated AL was John Buschman last year, and you have not met his standards of “success” in that realm. So if you really do dislike AL then congratulations. On the other hand, are you still reading? If so, it calls forth the question – if AL is so unworthy of serious consideration, why are you here? Is it just entertainment? That I will grant is conceivable.

AL is entertaining whether you agree with “her” or not. That’s why I read the blog from time to time.

52. TwoQatz says:

LOL, Hater. Most of the male librarians I’ve known were gay.

53. Spekkio says:

For those of you just joining the conversation, I will summarize most of the comments.

Bicker, bicker, bicker, bicker
    Insult!
    Bicker, bicker, bicker, bicker
    Bicker some more
    Homophobic remark
    Bicker!

You’re welcome.

I would also like to defend the idea of using “Star Trek” as a model for predicting the future – it’s done pretty well so far. Seriously. There aren’t any librarians in Starfleet – what does that say about where this profession is going?

54. orgasmsplash says:

Thank God you all have a place to dump your crappy complaints and you have a bitter, anonymous hero to look up to. Don’t you all have better things to do? Keep your libraries in the dark ages, but leave the rest of us out of it.

55. wassup says:

>I definitely believe that she’d like more mashed up content. Peas and carrots, probably.

Bwahahahaha, nuggets like this are what makes this column great!

56. merricat says:

“Thank God you all have a place to dump your crappy complaints”

You mean, just like you just did? HA! You should think before you type.

57. rbs7d says:

TwoQatz: Really? I’ve known lots of male librarians and about .000009 were gay. Most gays I know are in careers much more lucrative than librarian.

58. TwoQatz says:

Yes. In the two major library systems in which I worked, straight male librarians were a rarity.

59. 17 possums in a 16 possum sack says:

That video isn’t a parody of the twopointopians, made by AL fans?

60. imiwein says:

I think you people are a bunch of wankers .. the video was made by a cute little actress, who was repeating a script, not real girl. just an actress. Wake up to yourselves. too little between the ears.

61. library.geek says:

Can I just ask,

1. What is the defintion of a twopointopian? and

2. Why are they put in the same (or very similar in hate value) category as a toddler?

FYI I was born in 1984.