Bottom Tweets

For some reason, LJ posted a list of Friday’s “Top Tweets.” After reading the list, I thought, if those were the top, what were the bottom tweets? For the most part, Twitter seems a wasteland of vacuity and narcissism, and I wasn’t surprise at all by the #ala10 tweets.

I’m still busily eating and drinking on someone else’s dime at ALA, so I don’t have much time. But, here are some of my favorite “bottom tweets” from Sunday.

First ALA mishap, broken shoes. Hope hubby arrives in time with new shoes before my signing!

OMG, I hope so, too!

Sweet teeth — cupcakes are served! Visit ALA, booth 2103 at 3 pm!

Great! That’s just what most librarians need–more sweets! I hope they’re cooked with lard!

One last meander around the exhibition hall, then happily homewards… til tomorrow

Thank you for updating us with this exciting bit of news, and then making it even better with that little tease at the end.

Understand the primary purpose pf your website. They shod grow relationships

Thanks for the tip, but I think you meant that they “grow shoddy relationships,” or something like that.

“The 21st century is no place for timid librarians.”

Tis a pity, because that’s mostly what we’ve got. Timid, but very enthusiastic in a milquetoast sort of way.

exhibitors seem pretty book-centric.

Gee, what a surprise, since that what libraries still buy the most of. Books, shelves, carts, book tape, preservation supplies, the list goes on. If you don’t like it, go to an engineering conference.

People are tweeting how energised & jazzed they are from #ala10 BUT it doesn’t mean squat unless you DO something when you get back home.

That’s true. I had a great time in DC, though not at any ALA events. When I get home, a long nap is in order, though. Then…back to business as usual. That’s what I plan to DO!

i move to the cloud, move to the devices, go hand in hand

Very inspirational!

Alright, I’ve got a hot date for tonight, so I must go. ALA Annual is just busy, busy, busy.

Comments

1. re: “Books, shelves, carts, book tape, preservation supplies, the list goes on.”

2. Real Librarian says:

Um, in ten years, the conference will cease to exist in a tangible form.

People will come to their senses that you don’t have to jet across the country to hob-nob, get smashed on martinis, and try to get the bun out of Marian’s hair.

It is a waste of time, money, and helps doom our environment more.

Stay home and do your job.

3. Bill says:

“yeah, what the hell is the exhibit floor going to look like in 10 years when all the books are ebooks? will it just be screen protectors, ereader “skins” and hand sanitizer?”

If ebooks took over as the dominant form of reading – which seems unlikely to me given that they come with so many downsides compared to actual books – libraries themselves would be obviated, surely? Isn’t the whole point of ebooks that you can download or stream books remotely?

4. Bill says:

PS I should say right now that I hate ebooks. I hate hate hate having to scroll two million times rather than just turn pages. I hate how any given screen displays less text than a real book. I hate being limited by battery life and load times. The price tag doesn’t help either. Down with ebooks!

5. Bill says:

Dang it forgot to tweet my important opinions be right back guys

6. mmm, hair bun.

7. Brett R. says:

Heh heh heh. Bottom.

8. Real Librarian says:

I think hair bun and coffee are what the kids are calling “it” today.

9. Jolene says:

Yeah, every time I get one of those LJ tweets (6 times a day, at least) I vow to go into twitter turn them off. Then I go back to work and forget until I get another one. The information they send out is more inane and uninteresting than Al Gore’s tweets. God! I just got another one…..

10. Entry-level librarian says:

Libraries need to promote their people, huh? Don’t just advertise people, move them up. Maybe if this happened, the “shortage” of experienced professionals for director-level positions would be met, entry-level positions would open up, and the new graduates would have somewhere to go.

11. Real Librarian says:

There are no jobs at the entry level or anywhere else. Give up and go pump gas.

12. Techserving You says:

I happened upon one on the feed on the ALA website… it was something like “Second Life Librarians… my avatar is f###ing your avatar in the a##.” (But no pound signs.)

13. Techserving You says:

(No joke. And it didn’t seem like some normal person taunting the ridiculous Second Lifers…. it seemed like a Second Lifers getting off virtually.

14. Nola says:

I prefer real books because … they never run out of battery power during a long trip and if I accidentally get one wet … I can still read it.

15. Mr. Kat says:

You think bottom tweeting in the library field was bad but you’re only seeing it in writing. In my new field, these guys are professionals at clearing rooms!

16. sonia says:

Very funny:

“Stephen Abram breaks it down http://bit.ly/drbSIz Libraries have to promote their people

Drops of wisdom from the Master! Why hasn’t anyone else ever thought of that! My God, what a genius! Thank you for sharing! Do all you non-attendees see what you’re missing now? Great stuff!”

Profundities like that were a dime a dozen on twitter during the conference.

17. Bruce Campbell says:

eBooks will never completely replace real books. C’mon people.

18. I personally like real books. he he hair bun …..