Substance, not Style

A kind reader who knows I love all things hip librarian sent me an article entitled Young, Hip Librarians Take Over, which has to be the most inaccurate news headline since “Dewey Defeats Truman.”

Some of the inaccuracy is clear in the article itself. “Aspiring librarians…said they’ve seen a leveling-off of employment possibilities in the past year as libraries across the country are reducing hours and staff…. And younger librarians are now competing with unemployed librarians with years of experience for a coveted position.” Not finding jobs and competing against much more experienced librarians are hardly signs of taking over.

In the article, we are introduced to a young hipster librarian and comedian who supposedly “is part of a new group of young librarians who are busting stereotypes about who is a ‘typical librarian,’” and who advises that libraries can stay relevant to young library users by hiring “younger, more hip librarians.”

There’s a bit of irony in this, because the young hip librarian quoted seems to have never held an actual job as a librarian, and is in fact a recent LIS graduate searching for a library job. Thus, she at least has not been taking over libraries, and at 36 is young by comparison with the average librarian but hardly young compared to young people using libraries.

I waded into the librarian’s blog and quotes ready to mock, and there are things to mock, I suppose, mostly the idea that being young and hip constitute job qualifications for librarians. Anyone who thinks that’s what it takes is going to have a hard time finding a job.

However, leaving aside the mistaken ideas on youth and hipness in libraries, this librarian undoubtedly does do something well that most librarians tend not to do well: promote herself. The image she’s promoting isn’t one I find especially appealing, but it’s worth pointing out that of the several thousand attendees at ALA Midwinter, most with actual jobs and years of experience, this woman got her picture and quotes prominently displayed in that news article.

She’s the young, hip librarian looking for a job who advises libraries to hire young, hip librarians, and she’s the one readers pay attention to. The other librarians quoted just seemed like filler.

She’s also has a sense of humor, which is something many librarians sorely need. So, while she’s not my type of librarian, if she gets a job and gets seriously immersed in the profession rather than images of the profession, I could almost see her on the library star circuit one day. It’s pretty clear from most of the librarian “stars” I’ve seen that self-promotion is much more important than  knowledge.

But my advice to her and all the other young hip librarians is to tone it down a bit if you want to get jobs and succeed as librarians. Really, no one cares if you’re young or hip, as should be obvious by the sorts of people libraries hire. Nobody even cares how you look, as long as you don’t smell too bad, and the only problem with smelling bad is that malodorous librarians are hard to distinguish from the homeless.

Just being young and hip in itself means nothing. People respect you if you’re smart and do your job well. If you’re dumb or suck at your job, don’t blame tattoo-less, oldster librarians for disliking or firing you.

Despite the fact that I adore all the hipster librarian news articles for their irrelevance and blatant falsehoods, it really would be better for you to take the obsession with the opinion of others necessary to even care if you’re considered hip and think about what other people actually want.

Libraries want smart people connecting library patrons with information and services. Show them you can do that, and you’ll have a better chance at getting a job, whether you’re hip, a hippie, or just have big hips.

Self-proclaimed hipsters are concerned with style, but most librarians are concerned with substance. Pretty much any style is fine as long as the substance is there, and if the substance isn’t there, no amount of style will help.

Comments

1. will manley says:

I dunno, AL, why don’t we institute a new award: Young and Hip librarians of the Year. Wait…we have that – the Movers and Shakers.

2. Sarah says:

I have never heard the word “hip” used in a good way by people my age (I’m 23) unless they’re a hipster. Everyone else mocks hipsters and really, the word hip is outdated.

And considering I’m young and a new librarian and can’t even get an interview, I doubt we’re taking over.

3. Fat Guy says:

Somehow I don’t see this person sticking with librarianship for very long, considering her background. I’ve known people like this before, who think they can do “everything” simply because it enters their head. It seems like just another superficial feather to add to her cap. Next month, she’ll decide to take on some other hip-seeming career path that won’t last, like yarn store owner or vegan chef.

4. Cecilia says:

Spot on, AL! Despite the fact I may even be considered a “hipster librarian” (it’s all relative, I suppose), these articles always make me cringe.

Nevertheless, I choose to look on the bright side. I haven’t seen too many hipter librarian articles since 2008. At least they make a refreshing change from all the library closure reports.

5. Kim says:

I doubt my library would hire her and doubt the public library in my community would hire or interview her either, even in good times. Speaking about better times because I don’t want to appear to deride the efforts of those of you who are finding it so difficult to find a job and have probably have done all these things… What is looked for is gaining as much experience as possible before school, during school and doing volunteer library projects while the person is looking for a job, that is if the new graduate is not already working in some capacity in a library. I looked at her website, which has some usability issues that are pretty basic. She seems to know little about libraries nor about what librarians do; she just got the degree. Who cares? Lots of people have the degree. Also, at 36 she’s not exactly “young” and nobody who is young uses the word “hipster.”

I didn’t like the negative insinuations in the article about my older colleagues, nor about older people in general. There are always people who fit the stereotype, but I know older people who can take a computer apart and put it back together, though they may not care about nor be adept with social media or the latest gadgets.

6. Techserving You says:

“It’s the traditionally low aesthetic standard of librarians that allows the tattooed and hip to become librarians, not the hipness itself. It’s not because of your trendy, shopworn clothes, nose rings, and tattoos that libraries will hire you while most employers won’t. It’s that libraries will also hire the frumpy guy with Asperger’s if he can catalog well.”

More true words have never been written. I almost didn’t comment on this post because the OBSESSION with image (and “busting stereotypes” by replacing it with a new one – the tattooed hipster librarian) absolutely drives me crazy. I’m too disgusted by the whole thing to give it much thought anymore. But you put my thoughts into words.

7. Techserving You says:

I do have to point out, though, that some libraries might hire her. A library from which I recently resigned is staffed almost entirely by 60+ year olds who have been there 30+ years, and now have a mandate to overhaul the place. They don’t seem to be looking for substance, because they’re the worst kind of clueless librarians you always hear about, but rarely encounter (even though we all encounter a fair number of clueless librarians.) These are librarians who have not even been involved in any professional development since the 70s or early 80s. I don’t think they know what they’re looking for in their attempt to overhaul the library, so I think they’ll just take appearance over any substance (“she has tattoos and is under 40, she must know a lot of about technology.”) Please note, I am absolutely not knocking older librarians. I am knocking librarians of any age who have completely mentally checked out and just sit there raking in their paychecks.

8. Techserving You says:

Brother. I just clicked on the actual link. Sorry, but I think most *actual* young people will find someone who looks like that woman to be “an old lady trying to look young.” She doesn’t look young and hip – she looks like a phony, and kind of desperate. I think dressing like a normal person – classic clothes but with a modern cut – and keeping yourself in shape – will make you look young enough to attract younger patrons, and still approachable enough for older patrons.

Anyway, since one person quoted is from Portland, Oregon, I thought I would share this link. HILARIOUS:

9. FinallyaLibrarian says:

Well, I’m a 55 yo male ex IT network tech now librarian and when a very young man walked up to the desk and asked about a bio on Syd Barrett he was almost shocked when I said “Ah yes, of The Pink Floyd, right this way sir.”

So, I must be hip.

10. D says:

Thank you for another interesting post, AL. Your essay makes me think about intergenerational suspicion. I’m reminded of the silly, cult classic film “Wild in the Streets,” from the 1960s that explored intergenerational fear. In this movie, 30 becomes the required retirement age and people over the age of 35 are placed in concentration camps. In these times, all members of our profession, both young and old, have good reason to be insecure. The elders who have the jobs and the authority to hire don’t want to lose their income and power. Younger people are thought to be more comfortable with change and technology. And who wants to be considered irrelevant? The younger among us have every reason to be impatient: jobs just aren’t available for new a whole generation of librarians. It isn’t enough that old people have wrecked the planet – we have to hog all the good jobs too.

Some of the older members of our profession suspect that an emphasis on tattoos, body piercing, and haircuts reflect a lack of substance. We among the old probably should be wary of new generation’s ambition. They want our jobs and need us out of the way. I hope we find a way to share power with the new generation of librarians. We need their energy and passion. My own feeling is that we will be more successful creating a library brand that emphasizes tradition and education rather than the hip and culturally fashionable.

11. J says:

Is there a term in library-speak that would fit me? Tattooed, middle thirties, un-hip (I don’t have a TV or computer or i-whatchmacallit), no MLS yet but who actually works in a library?

Perhaps luddite un-hipster librarian?

12. Chrissy says:

Wow! I would have guessed 56 (not 36).

13. Midwest SciTech Librarian says:

If you check out her “designs” link on her website, you’ll find a whole lot of nothing as well. She does describe making purses with a sewn in pocket to slide a paperback into. Though, if she’s such a hipster, wouldn’t it be designed for an iPad?

14. Kim says:

My point, exactly. What can she actually DO that is needed in a library? Why didn’t she do something to get experience in any type of library earlier? And she’s not young, just trying to appear as if she is. One of my friends is a Children’s librarian, age 51, and she looks about the same age as this lady. My friend is attractive, fit and dresses classy, but doesn’t try to look or act young. The kids love her and so do the teens in part because she’s good at what she does, is interested in them and doesn’t try to be something she’s not. Kids can always spot a phony.

15. Techserving You says:

“Kids can always spot a phony.”

Sooooooo true.

16. Joneser says:

Meredith is a stand-up comedian with an MLS (or whatever). She wants a library job to fit in between her gigs. How can she be a spokesperson – and a self-appointed one at that – if she has never actually been a librarian

17. Wow – this is hilarious – a blog I have long admired for pushing the bar is featuring me – all because I wore a hat to an ALA conference! Jeez – and thanks everybody for throwing me under the bus. I was interviewed for the KPBS article, I didn’t write it or ask to be the “spokesperson” – plus the article and my quotes were focused on YA (where image is more important than it is with adults, who are smarter and can read between the lines – at least I thought so till I read your comments on here.) Are you this judgmental with your patrons too? I spent 4 years getting that degree so I have earned the right to call myself a librarian – a ton of money and top grades just for a “feather in my cap.” My purpose with StandUpLibrarian.com is to entertain while educating people about the importance of libraries and ALL librarians (even you bitter, judgmental, unfashionable ones) – because that is what I can offer this field using my past experiences in comedy and PR. Humor, fun, numerous mistakes! It is my opinion, my journey, not an example of right or wrong – after all, I am still learning. What are you doing besides putting down someone who has done nothing but admire all of you and hope to work with you someday? You can hate me, think my opinion is unjustified, call me old, and say my failed purse business from 2005 is a joke, but at least I am using my time and energy trying to make positive change in an industry that needs it right now. My mission is to show the world that libraries are an important and fun place to be – now stop talking shit about me and help me!

18. My goodness, you all are a bunch of whiny, frightened, judgmental, elitist creatures who really need to get a life.

You don’t know Meredith. I don’t either (we went to school together many years ago, but that’s it). You are judging her and condemning her for a freakin’ filler news article. And given your profession, you of all people should know how the media works! They are going to create something where there is nothing, and take quotes and ideas and re-arrange them quite outside of what the original speaker had intended into what they want.

If anything, you should be glad that the libraries are even being discussed in the media, especially in a positive, forward moving light.

Lighten up and come down from your high horse. You are the reason libraries have such a very un-cool reputation – and it has *nothing* to do with the way you look.

19. Annoyed Librarian says:

“After reading your Blog, I’d hire Meredith over you any day of the week…”

Meredith, your problems are solved!

20. Annoyed Librarian says:

Wait, then shouldn’t I change my name to Childish Librarian? Or are you saying all children are bitter? Or maybe all bitter people are childish?

And you aren’t really doing any hiring, are you?

21. Annoyed Librarian says:

Ahh, the old familiar pattern, the typical red herring dragged across the comments of the AL. Criticism of a claim is construed as a personal attack, which then motivates personal attacks on the blog with absolutely no defense of the claim being criticized. It’s become a cliche by now.

The claim in question is that hipness is a qualification for any librarian job, and the criticism was that this belief is wrong, and that proclaiming this belief publicly could hurt an aspiring library job-seeker. Is anyone in the Meredith fan club willing to defend the claim that hipness is a qualification for a library job? Is anyone willing to say that the public proclamation of such a belief is good for a library job-seeker?

It’s certainly easier to obsess about personalities and alleged personal attacks than it is to engage with ideas.

And Library Gal, please. Ahem. Where in this post is anyone attacked for trying to simply do a job? And using a pseudonym to attack someone for using a pseudonym and claiming an attack that didn’t occur?

I haven’t had this much fun reading the comments section in a while. It’s always amusing when people are so desperate to attack the AL they’ll do anything rather than engage with the arguments on the blog.

22. Barbara's Book Nook says:

Well, it certainly sounds like the “Annoyed Librarian” is more than that!
    I guess the one who is always dishing it out can’t handle it back…

Sounds like someone’s feathers are ruffled, dear. Anyone who reads your excuse for a blog knows that you are constantly mean spirited, so don’t play innocent victim now! Too Little, too late!

23. Barbara's Book Nook says:

And, to quote a VERY respected member in our field, regarding YOU:

“I have no desire to read his or her blog. Why? Because she or he is widely known to be negative and anonymous. I doubt I would read the blog even if it were not anonymous; judging from the few entries I have read, the author seems to thrive on sowing spite and discord. I daresay that if I took the time to read more of his or her blog entries, I would agree that some, perhaps even many, of her or his criticisms have merit. However, I would prefer to offer my attention to other bloggers and colleagues who are willing to offer criticism in a respectful and collegial manner. Oddly enough? Collegiality is an important part of the criteria for tenure at my place of work…so I would hazard a guess that I’m not the only person who prefers gentler communication methods.”

Truer words were never spoken!

24. Annoyed Librarian says:

This really is the blog post that just keeps on giving! Barbara dear, you must be one of those librarians who considers anything less than starry affirmation to be “mean-spirited.”

Far from being flustered, I find this delusion that I’m engaging in a personal attack here puzzling. I do notice there’s not any evidence offered, and certainly no defense of the ideas I’m criticizing. Typical librarian reaction to anything, I guess.

25. Barbara's Book Nook says:

Read your own words, sweetie…

It’s full of backhanded “compliments” and sarcasm. I followed the link to read the story about this girl, and while I am in my late 50′s and do not share a common thread with her, I do find her refreshing, and the women in our library would also, I’m sure…

So why not help promote the youth trying to make a difference in our industry instead of being intent on mocking them before learning a damn thing about them…

And yes, to quote YOU:

So there’s some evidence that you were so desperately looking for…Happy Now?

26. Annoyed Librarian says:

““I waded into the librarian’s blog and quotes ready to mock, and there are things to mock…

So there’s some evidence that you were so desperately looking for…Happy Now?”

Interesting. It quotes everything except the part where I attack her. Was it the part where I said she had a sense of humor, which librarianship sorely lacks? Or when I suspected her abilities of self-promotion could make her a library star?

Everyone is evading the real issue. Is telling other librarians how hip you are a good way to get hired if you’re looking for your first job?

27. Fat Guy says:

I hope that Ms. Myers will swallow her pride and hurt feelings a little bit and look a little deeper at some of the criticisms leveled at her. One of the most excruciating things about the job hunt, especially in this wildly competitive market, is the level of scrutiny you must face. Potential employers will make judgments about you and your character in ways you may not always consider to be fair. Controlling how you present yourself, in person and on the internet, is crucial to survival.

My apologies, Ms. Myers, if you thought my comment above was smug or harsh. But let me just say this to you, as nicely as I can: based on way you presented yourself in your blog, website etc., it’s very difficult to see how well you would fit into the profession beyond your apparent personal enthusiasm for it and your desire to “shake it up”. Employers are looking for someone to help solve problems they have, not just point out what their problems are (e.g. not being “hip” enough for their patrons). What do you have to offer to libraries? What substance is there behind the style? Your potential employers really want to know this. Figure this out, and you’ll be a much more attractive job candidate.

28. Barbara's Book Nook says:

You really don’t get it, do you? Don’t act like you’re all innocent and don’t try to pick fights and put people down…

By stating you went to her page with the intent to mock her, that shows the kind of ugly human being you are…sure you gave her some compliments, but they were followed with statements that were negative in some way…Are we not reading the same article? Do you think yours would make her feel good reading it? Way to support Your fellow librarian…and yes, she did earn the right to call herself one…When a doctor earns his degree, he becomes a doctor, etc…
    I’m sure fellow doctors dont write blogs about how no one will hire them because they may be diferent…Ever heard of Patch Adams?

Stop acting so ignorant. The only one evading an issue is you.

Why don’t you offer her an apology for casting a negative shadow on what Im sure was an exciting time for her, having an article written about her…

But, Im sure you’re above that too…

It’s evident from her message posted on here that you hurt her feelings…so wether that was your intent or not, you did…

Make it right. Play nice. there’s room in this world for everyone.

29. Annoyed Librarian says:

Is telling other librarians how hip you are and how hip librarians should be a good way to get hired if you’re looking for your first job?

I notice nobody has yet to address that question. You’re still obsessed with feelings, Barbara. What about new librarians looking for jobs? Are you suggesting they tell search committees how much hipper they are than the committee? Is that your career advice? Answer the question, please.

30. Barbara's Book Nook says:

Do you honestly think that this woman would go in to an interview and try to sell herself on this fact? Absolutely not. She is obviously intelligent, but what is wrong with trying a different angle to get noticed?
    It’s not going to get her a job being hip, No, but being hip AND bringing something to the table-Absolutely. Why not?
    If anything else, Im sure she may peak interest, then it’s what she does with her attention that will determine her future in the business.
    Does being an offensive, crass, opinionated hurtful blogger make YOU a better librarian? No. But it’s part of who you are. It doesn’t make you any better or any worse a librarian i’m sure…but it’s your edge…just like she has hers…

31. Annoyed Librarian says:

Do you honestly think she would go into an interview without everyone in the room already having Googled her? How many search committees would bring her in after reading her blog post where she mocks the hiring practices of her local library? You’re obviously obsessed with the AL, and I appreciate it, but please don’t let your obsession with the AL obscure some good career advice.

32. Annoyed Librarian says:

“So are you saying that the President….”

Since that has absolutely nothing to do with anything I wrote in this post, I doubt it, but if you can find a way to read it into the post, give it a try. More red herrings and evasions. I love it!

33. Barbara's Book Nook says:

“Obsessed with the AL”?

You are dilusional! And you dance around the issues well, I might add…

And do you think that if a commitee read your blog that you’d receive an offer of any kind? Highly doubtful. Your cancerous words are much more dangerous than This girl questioning hiring practices of her local library.

But I’m glad you took the time to read her blogs, as you apparently had.

Maybe the obsession lies in you, and im sure your glad that She has helped your blog get more readers than Im sure you normally have…

She’s obviously a hot topic, and I think i’m not alone in my opinions…

34. Annoyed Librarian says:

35. Barbara's Book Nook says:

LOL, You’re right…I am tired, and noticed my errors after hitting send without checking what I wrote first…

I think that was an incredibly kind thing of you to say, and I applaud you for writing those words of encouragement to her, as well as others who may be entering the field in this day and age…

It shows that I was mistaken in my opinion of you, and not everything you say is mean spirited…

Have a good evening, and, it’s been fun. Now this old lady needs some rest!

36. ItGirl says:

“One recurring theme at the conference was how libraries stay relevant in the lives of young readers as many librarians near retirement. Meredith Myers, a librarian and stand-up comedian, says she knows the answer: hire younger, more hip librarians.”

I get what Ms. Myers is trying to say: that youth feel more comfortable around those who appear to be like them. However, like AL, I also agree that appearnace should not be the only hiring criteria.

I do suspect that Ms Myers’ statement may have been taken out of context and that she probably does know she needs the expertise to back up the look, but that comment isn’t as sexy so it may have been edited out.

Regardless, Ms Myers does have a point: we judge people based on how they look. That is true for youth, race, class, etc.

My question is: should libraries ignore these stereotypes or cater to them?

37. Sadao says:

One thing I learned about Meredith is her passion for libraries. I’m sorry but not many people appreciate libraries anymore in 2000′s… everything is better online as we don’t have to go through piles of old ass books. But in Ms Myer’s defense, all she is trying to do is to tell people about her passion with the career she wants to hold as a librarian. Is it really that bad for someone to just speak about her passion wanting to be a librarian, taking time out of her life, taking days off work, etc to go to the library conference…?

38. Fat Guy says:

It has to be asked again, however– is passion enough? I have a passion for cheesburgers, being a Fat Guy after all. Doesn’t mean I should get to run an In N’ Out Burger.

39. Kim says:

Young graduates whose focus is teens, are frequently twenty something and they tend to have plenty of passion, particularly when it comes to developing technologies. They need to bring something else to the table. Budget cuts have meant hiring freezes, but when we are hiring, we look for prior library experience, including a few internships. The potential employee needs to show an interest in libraries by working or volunteering in libraries, thereby finding mentors, beginning networking and learning about what we actually do.

There’s a section on Miss Meyers’ website about reading to children — that’s not what Youth Services librarians do, unless your talking about reading as it relates to developing literacy. Miss Meyer’s website doesn’t indicate what she’s done in libraries, and it’s this that needs to be the website’s focus. The black background with purple ink is not a good choice. Go with something clean, preferably white background, professional and easy to read when there is text. I also wondered about showing pictures of kids on the web in open forum like this. Were model releases obtained?

The comedian aspect is good, as long as it’s brought back to how this relates to Youth Services. The earlier comments that caused the hurt feelings are relevant if you will read them more closely, Miss Meyers, because these are the exact questions that come up when we and other libraries hire.

Also, for future reference, I’d advise you to never talk about a library where you interviewed on a public forum. That library will hear about it and it will get back to other libraries.

The idea that’s been expressed that people don’t want libraries is not correct. Communities fight for their libraries, but state governments often see them as an easy way to cut spending.

40. Kim says:

The above was taken from the my friend, the Children’s Librarian, when I posed these questions to her. I accidentally hit the wrong button before I had a chance to indicate this. If you will apply these ideas, you have a much better chance of landing that first job. But it’s really tough right now. Best wishes and luck to you!

41. Lulu says:

Wow, the comments here were really needlessly cruel, and attacked a person in our profession personally instead of just an annoying concept or stereotype. I’m fairly new to Annoyed Librarian and have enjoyed it thus far. After reading this entry and the comments though, I find myself wondering if I should just remove AL from my RSS feed. Not very classy, folks!

42. Mickey Decimal says:

Well, I guess this round went to Meridith, The Stand Up librarian!

I have never seen the Annoyed Librarian eat her words like I did with this blog…And I think it’s great that you admitted you crossed the line.

I read Meridith’s blog, and the girl is brilliant, actually…

So 1 for Meridith, 0 for Annoyed Librarian.

Congrats Meridith!!!

43. Andrew says:

I’ve read through all of the comments here (quite entertaining, by the by) yet don’t see the spot where the AL ate her words and admitted she was wrong. The closest she comes to anything approaching that is:

“Barbara, you’re obviously quite worked up by now, to judge by your declining grammar, so I’ll let you rest easy. I’m sure no one who read my blog would hire me, except perhaps the Library Journal.

And I can say with all honesty that I hope that all the new readers she has brought to my meager blog will help her get a job. Really, I do. She’s obviously smart, and has a sense of humor and a knack for promotion that will serve some library well, as I noted before. If she focuses on what she can bring to the library besides hipness, she will no doubt do well.”

That’s not admitting defeat. That’s reiterating the positive points the AL mentioned in her original post. And still no one has answered the question as to whether or not hipness helps in the hiring process.

44. Mickey Decimal says:

Epic! The Annoyed Librarian gets served! And succumbs to the pressure of it all!!! Yes!!!!

45. Fat Guy says:

Wow, Mickey, I sure hope you don’t teach IL courses, especially the parts about quoting your sources accurately. If you like, post your email address and I’ll send you a copy of the APA Style Guide I use with my students.

46. Mickey Decimal says:

Hey “Fat Guy”-

Yes, I do teach IL courses, and I was voted the best in my state, thank you very much.
    I know the “APA Style Guide” backwards and forth, so no need to send…

Are you scared of people like Meredith because they are young and sexy? And you can’t get with them? So you mock them and all that they do?

I got a feeling thats this real “issue” here…

47. Fat Guy says:

Haha Mickey. You’re a funny guy! You sure got me! I imagine after you posted this you said “Zing!” quietly to yourself, proud of the witty comeback you had just composed. Kudos, my friend, you’ve won this round.

But no, I have no fear of or attraction to Ms. Myers. I’m a married man and father, and she’s simply not my type, no offense to her. I’m admittedly not all that impressed by what I’ve seen of her, but I am certain there is more to her than is displayed in her website and blog. I’m with AL insofar that I don’t think her web presence displays enough substance to make her a potentially great hire for a library, and I sincerely hope she rethinks her strategy to make herself a more attractive candidate. I wish her, and you, well. Now, back to my cheeseburgers.

48. librariankris says:

Meredith, if you’re still reading this, can I say one thing with all due respect?

If you think the comments here and from AL have been mean-spirited and hurtful, maybe working with teens (or the public in general) isn’t for you. I’ve been a teen librarian, and while it does have its rewards, it also has a lot of bad days when you get cussed out, yelled at, harassed, or just plain ignored. Speaking as someone who has fought the thin-skinned battle myself, get tough or don’t try it. Teens are not always a warm and fuzzy bunch. They also can spot a phony at a half mile, so whatever you are, be yourself. I’ve seen excellent 60-year-old teen librarians as well as thirtysomethings, and it’s just about being real.

I also agree with the comments above about publicly decrying your local library’s hiring practice. I’ve sat through (and been rejected by) those “pool” interviews myself and they are awful, but they are what you have. Be prepared, do what they ask, show your experience, and be polite. It’s the only way to get hired. There’s a ton of competition out there and they will find someone who will. Be yourself, but be the self who is ready with the answers, the modesty, and doesn’t contribute to information overload by answering questions that weren’t asked. Showing you are excited by the profession, but also willing to start at the bottom and learn from those with more experience will help you get your foot in the door in the right place.

49. Andrew says:

Mickey, I don’t think we’re reading the same comment threads. You see this:

“Are you kidding Andrew? Read it all again…First she was all “Blah Blah Blah Im right, Meridith is wrong yada yada yada” and then Meridith posted a reply, then some other people did as well, and then she was all “Im retracting my statement and wishing Meridith all the luck and love in the world blah blah blah yada yada yada”…”

When what the AL actually did was restate her position (stated earlier in the article itself) that she thinks the young hipster librarian in question is good at self-promotion. Again, nowhere does she retract anything she said before or back down from the position that substance > style.

You might know APA backwards and forwards, but reading comprehension obviously isn’t one of your strong suits.